[78-L] Jazz w/strings (was Mitch Miller)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Aug 2 17:44:37 PDT 2010

I like strings in dance bands...all my faves have string sections.    Anson
Weeks,  Henry King, Joe Reichman, Richard Himber,  etc. etc.

I love those big,  heavy 40s T Dorsey records with however many he
featured...Street of Dreams,  Just As Though You Were Here,  Opus One,  etc.
Also the schmaltzy,  over-produced  Harry James stuff as well.

I love the Parker With Strings...ditto some of the Lennie Niehaus Octet with
strings stuff  (I like Lennie's arranging but have never really cared for
his alto playing).

I've given up on trying to categorize what I listen to...it's either music
on my "play list"  or it ain't and that's good enough for me!

Taylor