[78-L] Jazz w/strings (was Mitch Miller)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:10:56 PDT 2010

Cary Ginell wrote:
Not speaking for David, I can think of some that I like a lot. Herbie
Mann's charanga recordings for Atlantic (of course, strings were in that
tradition), but I also liked much of what Wes Montgomery did for Verve.

Cary Ginell
I lose interest in Montgomery (and Grant Green and Jimmy Smith) after
they joined Verve. I tend to collect their stuff for whose with them. In
fact, I don't see much point in their playing, when Kenny Burrell was
(and still is) around--they all played in that rather "sleepy", "sittin'
'n' whittlin'" style. On their own, they're fine for background music. I
prefer a more incisive approach (e.g. Tiny Grimes and Everett Barksdale).

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5335 (20100802) __________

http://www.eset.com