[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada - Musik des Orients, I Pini Di Roma

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Sun Aug 1 16:44:00 PDT 2010

Steve,

in the original 'Musik des Orients' album there are- in the order of the
tracks in the set :

- first, 7 ten inch records
  Parlophon B 37.034 (all red label)   1 & 2 Japan
  Parlophon B 37.035     3 & 4  Japan
  Odeon O-4490  (all blue label)   5 & 6  China
  Odeon O-4491     7 China & 8 Java
  Odeon O-1936     9 Java &  10 Java
  Odeon O-4492     11 Bali & 12  Bali
  Odeon O-4493     13 Bali & 14 Bali
  Parlophon B 37.036   15 Bali &  16  Siam
- then  3  10 3/4 inch records:
  Odeon  O-5167   17 & 18  Vorderindien
  Odeon  O-5168   19  Persien  & 20  Ägypten
  Odeon  O-5169   21 & 22  Ägypten
- lastly  1 ten inch record:
  Parlophon  37.037   23 & 24  Tunis

The British Parlophone set is all on 10 inch discs (dark blue labels)
Track sequence as above, records numbered from M.O 100 to  M.O 111.

The ten inch records in this Parlophone set are obviously master pressings.
They have the the same font types for the matrices that were taken from
different Lindström labels. While the original Lindström discs bear the pound
sign for the Odeon or Beka matrices, the Parlophone copies have both the
W in a circle and the pound sign.

The three 10 3/4 inch discs in the Parlophone set are, however, dubs with new
matrix numbers and completely different run-out grooves.

The U.S. Decca set is identical with the UK Parlophone set: master pressings for
the 10 inchers and dubs of the larger discs. Here, the Decca discs are pressed
on an unusual prime quality wax. I do not have a complete set of these Deccas,
but I think it runs in consecutive numbers from De 20120 to De 20131 (red label
with subtitle: 'Authentic Imported Odeon Parlophone Recordings' right underneath
the DECCA logo)

The Hornbostel cylinder set was never published on modern media like LP or CD.
Last time I spoke about it, many years ago, with Prof. Artur Simon (former head of
the Berlin Phonogramm Archiv), he said that the extant copies that he knew were all
incomplete and it seems that they were originally not 100% identical.

I do not know which archives own these cylinder sets. Berlin does not have one.

Benno

--
E-Cards: Schon fertig für die ganz Eiligen oder individuell zum Selbstgestalten - für jeden Anlass gibt´s die richtige E-Card auf arcor.de.
http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.ecard