[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada - Musik des Orients, I Pini Di Roma

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sun Aug 1 15:06:12 PDT 2010

Other than the 42 recordings on the Folkways lp/cd, have the 200 (120?) Erich von Hornbostel cylinders ever been reissued, particularly on cd?

How were the 3 27 cm von Hornbostel discs from 1931 republished?  As dubs on to 10 inch records?  Were the other 1931 records in the set republished as dubs or as master pressings?

Also, I think I have (and am more than prepared to let go) a Fonotipia set of I Pini Di Roma./steve

goldenbough at arcor.de shreibt:

However, Erich von Hornbostel and the Phonogrammarchiv in Berlin had published and sold
a similar set about two decades before. It was a large 'multi-storey' crate containing about
200 cylinders with early ethnographic music recordings from Europe, Africa and Asia (I do
not know if any American recordings were included).

Only about 5 or 6 of these sets may have survived.