[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 31 13:11:05 PDT 2010

From: mbiel at mbiel.com
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Subject: Re: [78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada
>
> On 7/31/2010 2:46 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> > I just came across an album I'd been using for years for Isham Jones records and noticed the front cover.."MY RECORD BOOK OF SONGS AND STORIES on VICTOR AND BLUEBIRD Records". 5 pockets, fill 'em yourself. Full color illustration with your standard Mother Goose and storybook characters, but boy does Jack look lascivious pulling Jill up the hill, and Little Black Sambo is wearing a red blouse open to the pippick and a blue culotte and has just done his nails and is pigeon-toed but has great legs and is definitely going to need therapy if the tiger doesn't do him a favor.
> > dl
>
> Is there a date on the lower left inside back cover? Many of the Victor
> fill them yourself albums -- mostly for individual performers but I also
> have one for opera -- have a printing date. Usually from 1944 and
> later. The 1926 Mothers Day album had three specific records which were
> recorded especially for it. The Orthophonic album had specific records
> in it, but you could ask the dealer to substitute one or all of them.
> The Christmas album was empty for you to fill AT THE DEALER. It wasn't
> sold empty!!! I've not found info on these three except in the monthly
> supplement when they were available. MB

No date, no printing other than the usual price list on the inside back cover, and no wartime restrictions or WPA references. This album is better quality than the mid 40s ones.

By the way, if Old Mother Hubbard could afford to dress her dog so well, she could have afforded to put something in that cupboard. SPCA should have been called. And as for Humpty Dumpty looking like Napoleon..

dl