[78-L] 78 Album Sets outside the US & Canada

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jul 31 10:23:17 PDT 2010

  I covered a lot of the history of albums in my ARSC presentation that
will eventually be on their website "The Illustrated Album Cover Before
Steinweiss."  The Europeans were doing classical album sets long before
we did in the U.S., before 1910 in fact.  In 1917 HMV started to have
beautifully illustrated covers on their operetta sets, but by the
mid-20s these and all their other sets were packaged in embossed
leatherette-like fine library-edition albums.  It was only in 1924 when
Columbia, then Victor and later Brunswick started doing classical sets.
Prior to that time (and occasionally even afterwards) multi-disc works
were sold as individual discs.

The concept of popular music in album sets was not immediately apparent
because single records fit the format better.  Victor did have several
short-lived thematic albums in 1926 for Mother's Day, Christmas, and the
public intro to Orthophonic, and they also instituted the C- album
series with composer sets like Victor Herbert, Stephen Foster, etc.  We
are still looking for the catalog details of the Jimmie Rodgers album
they put out around 1932.  Both American and British Brunswick had
beautifully designed albums in 1932 for the revivals of Showboat and
Blackbirds [of 1928], and the British also started issuing jazz
compilations, sometimes in limited subscription editions.  They really
had the idea of pop albums going before the U.S. did.  The Bix
Beiderbecke memorial on Victor and the Bessie Smith memorial on Columbia
started things happening in the U.S. as general record sales picked up
in 36 and 37.  These were reissues, but then some labels started doing
new recordings in album sets, Benny Goodman on Victor, Artie Shaw on
Bluebird, Kostalantz on Brunswick, Boogie Woogie on Vocalion, along with
numerous albums by Liberty Music Shop, Musicraft, and others in 37 and
38 were topped by the Decca Album series which started at the end of
1937 and hit 100 albums by the end of 1939.

British Brunswick and British Decca started their popular album series
in mid-1939 both borrowing from and giving ideas to American Decca.  It
was only AFTER all this that American Columbia picked up on the album
set idea and started their red label popular series at C-11 in late
March/early April 1940 with Steinweiss's first cover after almost 200
illustrated covers on other labels had led the way.  The war did
restrict the British record industry in general, but I think album sets
did continue although a lot of classical works were once again being
sold as individual discs.  From what I see of post-war British sets
imported into the U.S., in just about all cases the discs were imported
and the album books themselves were manufactured in the U.S.  This also
was the case of a lot of the British LPs.  It was cheaper to make the
albums in the U.S. than to ship all that paper and cardboard, so only
the discs were shipped.

Since The Gramophone magazine is available on-line, that is the best
source for info on how records were packaged in England in the 30s and
war years.  And our own Geoffrey Wheeler has done a good job documenting
the growth of the jazz albums in his books "Jazz by Mail", and
"Collectors Guide to Jazz on Bootleg & Reissue 78 RPM Records 1932-1952"
(although he does have a bug as to whether Columbia has a legitimate
claim to any ARC and earlier masters,, and calls a lot of their reissues
"bootlegs"!)

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com