[78-L] Columbia C3918...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 29 19:19:52 PDT 2010

From: "Han Enderman" <jcenderman at solcon.nl>
> Sherman & Nauck call this the "gold band" label type, as successor of the
> Magic Notes label.
> When the magic notes label was started for double-sided discs, Columbia
> introduced
> new series with letter prefixes: A, E (ethnic), also C & H "(used
> primarily on imported and
> foreign language recordings)" and S (orig. on export Spanish selections).
> Poss. your record C-3918 is just too late for a 2-letter printing date
> code.
> I have several similar images; for ex. C-3864, mx 82573, with date IW,
> and a flag label pressing of C-3852, mx 82840.

1) My record does NOT have a "date code;" I suspect that you are correct
in that it was very slightly too late for one? "IW" would be September
1920; the codes get somewhat scrambled after early 1921 (first *V,
then *P and finally *J)...!

2) Note that the first "gold band" labels did NOT use a band; they
had "Columbia" in caps, where the "band" would subsequently
appear. I have bought these whenever I see them for sale; sadly
I don't know how many I now own...?!

Steven C. Barr