[78-L] ADBDiscography

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Jul 26 11:30:25 PDT 2010

Good question. On a quick spot check of both issues I find that there
are non-US issues listed in the new set that are not in the original. At
random I opened to Dixie Marimba Players and took a look.
There are differences, and some issues Brian was unsure of have been
located and noted in the new edition. However neither shows the
inclusion of (Hawaiian) steel guitarists in DMP's instrumental lineup. I
know for a fact that both (mx 8153) "Someday, Somewhere (We'll Meet
Again)" and (mx 9388) "Lazy Lou'siana Moon" have a sg on them because I
have the records. It is very probably either Andy Sannella or Roy Smeck
(sometimes they are a little hard to tell apart).
I would suggest you do some further spot checking - which I, too, will
do eventually - but since the new set is the work of many years of
research by two people and not just a relisting of Brian's primary work
I will probably end up retiring my first edition.
I've almost finished reading the whole thing cover to cover  - I'm on
Volume 5 right now - and noting material I need to check for my own
purposes. Then I get to go back and do it all over again for specifics.
I'll have a much broader answer to your question further down the line.
Malcolm

*******