[78-L] Indie labels, furrin issues..was RE: Near You by Francis Craig

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 23 19:10:54 PDT 2010

From: stevenc at interlinks.net>
> From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> > They'd say London, then underneath, 'AMERICAN RECORDINGS'. They'd be
> > recordings of US origin from a number of labels such as Atlantic.
> >
> Which seems rather odd, since Atlantic was one of the last US labels
> to press and issue 78's (into cat# 1000 or thereafter!) The Canadian
> London issues were in (IIRC) a M- cat# series...which like the Apex
> series issued material from US "indie" labels which didn't create
> Canadian "branch plant" operations. I have London(C) catalogs
> which list these; however, exactly WHERE they currently are is
> indeed open to question...?!

M- series up to a point, but as with Apex and Quality, once the indie label had enough presence in the stores it would be issued with its own label by the Canadian distributor. "London Liberty" was one of the rare exceptions. This carried on into the sixties..Herb Alpert's first half dozen albums all appeared on "Quality" in Canada.

> We "pack rats" are all too often victimized by the ignorant "get
> rid of all that junk" types...who are too freaking stupid to realize
> that all their "valuable antiques" had to be saved through their
> "worthless" stage by folks like ourselves...?! SCB

No comment..I'm still unpacking all my stuff, which was packed by professionals who didn't bother to label anything or indicate shelf or source or area other than "basement". A box labelled "albums" may contain open reel tapes, 78s, LPs, transcriptions or stuffed animals or all of the above....

> SCROOM!!!

Yeah.