[78-L] 78s (sort of) and Cylinders in the news

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 15 22:29:08 PDT 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> What shoudl be extinct, but aren't, are moronic wanking articles like this one. Jee-zus! These technologies are still in use because they happen to work..in many instances, far better than their replacements. Ask any doctor's office how often they use the fax machine..in fact I'm asked for faxes regularly myself. The only thing I may use the typewriter for is typing waybills, but it's still kept in good repair and used regularly.

In the late 70s I took some of my broadcasting students on a tour of
NYC media and noticed in the WOR radio newsroom they had several manual
typewriters.  They still remembered the great blackout of 1965!!  I
suppose they could now use battery operated laptops, but without
printers they would still have to read their newscast off of the screen
of the computer it was written on if the blackout took out the wi-fi.

And yes I know our wind-up acoustical machines will play in the blackout
indefinately without needing a battery recharge, but there are some
hand-crank emergency radios that have phone and ipod charging attachments.
> dl
>
> Sent from My Pad

Is that an i-pad or your house/apartment/place to crash?

Mike (sent from my computer, attached to a land-line, in my pad) Biel
mbiel at mbiel.com