[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 15 20:15:54 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>>> It's an instrumental, with several nice solos. Dead number is 100319
> Dead number????  Where did you ever pick that phrase up???  You mean
> matrix number.

I'm guessing he meant "dead wax" (often used for "run-out" number?
>> listen here  Both sides in low res mp3
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/78_archives/files/Mark%20Bardenwerper/
> The recording is electrical, both sides are electrical.  And since "How
> Am I To Know" is an instrumental, as you said, it does not match any of
> the three recordings of the song in the Columbia Discography.  And if
> indeed the matrix number 100319 is correct, that is the reason it is not
> listed -- Rust did not list the 100xxx series.  We will have to ask Tim
> Brooks if he has any of the matrix series lists for this.

The 100### series was apparently used by Columbia on dubs(?) of sides
to be issued on the "Harmony group" of labels.

> By the way, the matrix numbers are important to include in any label you
> put on a transfer, not just the record number.  And since Columbia seems
> to have issued multiple takes very often at this time, the take numbers
> are important.  You have not mentioned them in any of the postings
> here.  They would usually be at the 12 o'clock position or under the
> label.  Often there will be a number, a letter, and possibly another
> number.  The first number is the take, the letter is the metal positive
> (mother), and the second number would be the stamper number.  If there
> is a W in a circle, put that as the prefix of the matrix number.  Rust
> ignores the W, but we should not.

Many electric Harmony-group sides don't use the "W",,,possibly so that
Columbia could avoid paying royalties on the sides...?!

Steven C. Barr