[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 15 12:34:45 PDT 2010

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>> How Am I To Know is 1-B-5 and Gotta Feelin For You is 3-A-6

Takes one and three respectively.

> Forgot to mention that this disk has the familiar Columbia smooth
> surface

That goes without saying!!

> Amazing how far electrical recording came in just a few years. I think it was primarily in the mikes, but Columbia had the compounds down pad IMHO.

The real improvements came in 1931.  There is a reissue of George Hall
with Fred Astaire on the Buddha "Time Capsule" CD that will take your
breath away.  As does the Western Electric Wide Range Vertical Recording
system they introduced in the next couple of years.  But the Western
Electric system was pretty good even in 1924.  Steve Smolian even thinks
they had to "dumb it down" to keep record wear down.  At ARSC about ten
years ago he compared a 1924 NY Philharmonic recording to a 1926 Victor
of the same piece and the 1924 won hands down.  Exhibit B is a FANTASTIC
recording of The Columbians April 27, 1925 "Honey I'm In Live With You"
Columbia 367-D (W 140560-3).  This was in the second month of Columbia
electrical recording and is powerful, crisp, and clean.  I used it in
1977 at the conclusion of my ARSC presentation "Electrical Recording
Before Western Electric".  My point was that they weren't the first and
only developing electrical recording, but they were by far the best.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com