[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jul 14 23:57:26 PDT 2010

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:

>> It's an instrumental, with several nice solos. Dead number is 100319

Dead number????  Where did you ever pick that phrase up???  You mean
matrix number.

> listen here  Both sides in low res mp3
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/78_archives/files/Mark%20Bardenwerper/

The recording is electrical, both sides are electrical.  And since "How
Am I To Know" is an instrumental, as you said, it does not match any of
the three recordings of the song in the Columbia Discography.  And if
indeed the matrix number 100319 is correct, that is the reason it is not
listed -- Rust did not list the 100xxx series.  We will have to ask Tim
Brooks if he has any of the matrix series lists for this.

By the way, the matrix numbers are important to include in any label you
put on a transfer, not just the record number.  And since Columbia seems
to have issued multiple takes very often at this time, the take numbers
are important.  You have not mentioned them in any of the postings
here.  They would usually be at the 12 o'clock position or under the
label.  Often there will be a number, a letter, and possibly another
number.  The first number is the take, the letter is the metal positive
(mother), and the second number would be the stamper number.  If there
is a W in a circle, put that as the prefix of the matrix number.  Rust
ignores the W, but we should not.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com