[78-L] Favorite mx numbers (was: Record Dating Enquiry)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 14 19:35:03 PDT 2010

From: <goldenbough at arcor.de>
> Why would you, Steven, include Favorite matrix numbers in your US/CDN/GB
> Dating Guide?
> Favorite was a German company, operating out of Linden, a suburb of
> Hanover.
> It finally became part of the Lindström concern in Berlin.

Because, like many German record companies prior to 1914, Favorite sold many
records in the UK; in fact, Germany seems to have had the same function as
did
Japan in the fifties/sixties and does China these days, being a less
expensive place
to press records! I also recall there having been a lot of discussion of
Favorite
and its practice of including dates on many of its issues, here on 78-L in
past
years...?!

> The mentioned record numbers 1-5200 and 1-5213  show the following info:
> 1 = 25cm
> 5 = male vocal
> 200 resp. 213: sequence number
>
> And for the matrices 1814-f and 1816-f:
> -f = recording engineer Otto Multhaupt
>
> I cannot find dates for 1814-f and 1816-f.
> As 938-f was recorded May 1905 in Cairo and 1410-f was recorded July 1905
> in Paris,
> said 1814-f was possibly recorded in 1905 in Paris as well, or maybe
> shortly thereafter.
>
> Background information with some mx numbers can be found on Hugo
> Strötbaum's website:
>
> http://www.recordingpioneers.com/docs/FAVORITE%20REVISITED.pdf
>
> And lists of matrix numbers are in this publication:
>
> Seventy-Eight Revolutions Per Minute In The Levant
> - A Discography of Favorite's Oriental Recordings
> by Hugo Strötbaum
> in: De Turcicis Aliisque Rebus - Commentarii Henry Hofman dedicati
> M. Vandamme (Ed.)
> Utrecht, Nederland, 1992
> 227 p.,  ISBN 90-393-0291-x
>
> Benno