[78-L] No -- this is the world's rarest record

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 13 16:06:55 PDT 2010

> On 7/13/2010 4:52 AM, Dennis Flannigan wrote:
>
>> Where can I get the world's rarest steak,

In any grocery store!!  Uncooked is about as rare as you can get!

>>  or stake,

Transylvania.

>>  or get a stake in the
>> rarest steak house?

The stock market.

>>  Is there a rare record of a steak sizzlin' in the pan?

Ah, 78 content!!  Usually this sound was done by crinkling cellophane,
so I have not found it listed in some of the sound effect libraries like
Major, Gennett, SpeedyQ, Masque, etc.  But there was a real porterhouse
steak was cooked on mic (by Lana Turner?) for the edition of Command
Performance which was filmed for a widely available short subject.  This
could possibly be program 92 recorded Nov 13, 1943 but the Harry
MacKenzie discography does not mention the steak.

>> What label?

War Department AFRS

>> Which is better, take 1, or take 2?

I don't think the rationing board allowed for two steaks, so there
probably wasn't a second take.

>> Angus or? Thank you.
>>
>> df

It was Porterhouse.