[78-L] Reversing audio

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 13 15:28:51 PDT 2010

Confusion has arisen here because the original context of the situation
was not included in the copies in the thread, and therefore has not
become a part of the experiments being undertaken. The question was not
about simply reversing audio which had originated in the digital domain.
The situation is about analog audio which was initially reversed while
in the analog domain. It was about digitally reversing an analog
recording which had been reversed in the analog domain and digitalized
while being played backwards. When you then return it to analog (which
has to happen when playing it) and compare it with the original analog
recording, according to the presenter they don't match. The square waves
mentioned in the presentation were not generated in the digital domain
like David Burnham's, they were analog tape recordings of a square wave
that were reversed in the analog domain and then re-reversed in the
digital domain and compared with the original analog recording.

This discussion started about playing an LP in reverse when
digitalizing. The ARSC presentation concerned digitalizing
bi-directionally recorded tapes in one pass, with some tracks being
played forwards while other tracks were being played backwards and being
restored to the proper direction in the digital domain.

So now repeat your experiments using your A-D and D-A converters in the
chain.

Doug Pomeroy wrote:

 > I assume Mike is referring to Mark Hood's talk? I missed it (will
watch when it is
 > finally posted on the ARSC web site)

I am about to sit down to my videotape of the talk to try to figure out
the confusion myself)

 > but I spoke to Mark about his talk (and his
 > examination of waveforms produced by playing analog tapes in reverse)
but he
 > didn't mention anything about digitally reversing audio,

I don't know what he told you, but if you look at his abstract in the
convention guide, he clearly includes digital reversal of reversed
analog tape recordings. I've separated that part out into a second
paragraph. Note his final sentence which was a hint to what he was going
to present, unfortunately without giving away his findings in advance.

 >>> POLARITY AND PHASE RESPONSE IN REVERSE PLAYBACK OF ANALOG MAGNETIC TAPE
Mark Hood, Indiana University Archives of Traditional Music,
Bloomington, Indiana

 >>> Reproducing the content of analog tapes “backwards” was long a part
of standard practices
in dubbing tapes for broadcast distribution and the mass-production of
certain configurations
of pre-recorded consumer tapes. In addition to increasing efficiency by
allowing
duplicators to dub multiple audio program streams simultaneously (e.g.,
the “forward”
A side and the “backward” B side of a cassette), this practice was also
shown to
prevent the serial accumulation of phase distortion products inherent in
the magnetic tape
recording process itself.

 >>> In the current era, audio archivists may be able to achieve a
major increase in productivity when digitizing tapes that contain
multiple tracks of audio
content that were recorded bi-directionally by playing back these tapes
on reproducers
with head configurations that retrieve all of the content
simultaneously. Preservation
files created by this method that contain “backward” audio can then be
processed in the
digital domain by a quick and simple re-ordering of the samples to
create a file that plays
in a normal, forward manner. As part of the Sound Directions project,
the Archives of
Traditional Music at Indiana University is conducting research into
increasing efficiency
and throughput by employing various methods of parallel transfer
(simultaneous digitization
of multiple audio streams) and workflow automation. Our investigation
into the use
of reverse tape playback has uncovered some interesting results that may
have bearing on
the use of this technique in audio archival practice.<<<

audiofixer at verizon.net

I assume your last question was meant to be humorous, but actually in audio it has been determined that bits is not necessarily bits because the resultant restoration to analog can be disturbed by jitter and other clocking errors.  They are further affected by error correction and error concealment.  All of our pre-digital recordings have to pass through an A-D stage and since things can't remain in the digital domain forever if we want to hear them, a D-A stage as well.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com