[78-L] Reversing audio

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Mon Jul 12 11:42:27 PDT 2010

Jeff Lichtman wrote:

> You can test this yourself. Take any digital audio editor with any
> signal and reverse it twice, then compare it with the original. There
> will be no difference.

If you paste an inverted copy of one on top of the other, it will cancel
out to produce absolute silence. Any other result would suggest to me
either a fundamental fault in the software, or use of compression
algorithms.

In the context so far described, the talk sounds like something to be
filed in the same category as painting the edges of CDs green stopping
the laser bouncing off the surface of the disc.