[78-L] Reversing audio

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 11 15:52:07 PDT 2010

Rob Spencer wrote:
> On 7/11/2010 12:00 PM, Steve Barr wrote:
>
>> A microgroove LP can often develop skips/sticks that arise from
>> (presumably) groove damage...which is (1) invisible to the naked
>> human eye...and (2) impossible to correct?!
>>
> I had a skip of this type to deal with recently when dubbing a record.
> Happily, my phonograph has a reverse gear, and in reverse the record
> didn't skip. I then reversed the resultant file in my sound editor.

My email program has developed a skip a skip a skip a skip a skip...
I'll try reading it backwards.

By golly, it's gone!

I used to record records with skips by waiting until the needle was near
it, then blowing gently against the side of the arm.
It's also pretty easy to edit skips out that get through.

How about the character on YouTube who claims he can get rid of record
noise by running his records backwards once. I don't know it I like the
idea of using my needle to scrape a groove clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ypJFVwwCs&feature=related

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.