[78-L] No -- this is the world's rarest record ....

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 11 10:54:36 PDT 2010

jack palmer wrote:
>> Julian,
>>     You are right.  They did exist.  They just had not been found by the discographer making the list.   Jack

The person making the "list" was Ross Laird who compiled the OKeh
discography, and for several years posted lists of OKehs he needed info
on. .  I suppose there are MANY in it that he never get a report of a
copy.  THOSE are "rarer" than this one which now DOES have a report of a
copy, greeted with wide yawns by knowledgeable collectors--especially
after this mguy tells us of other commonly found recordings of Over
There with Burr and similar line-ups on other labels.

As for the person who put together that elaborate page, he is an Elvis
collector.  That is why those stupid comparisons with finding an Elvis
on a 1956  Decca with a different performer line-up.  If you look at
that guys other pages, he goes ga-ga when he finds an Elvis LP that has
the title printed margain left instead of margain right.  He shows NO
understanding of identifying pressing plants to explain differences in
labels, stiff
or flexible vinyl.  While his tabulation of all the different Elvis
inner sleeves is interesting, it might be the only area of collecting
that is smaller than those collecting Henry Burr!!

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:

> Seriously, the way this hobby works, any one of us could have the rarest
> record. How could anyone know until you were to compare your collection
> to anyone else's? How many collectors do you know who have made a
> database and shared it? I have mine. Who would like to see it?
>
> I think this idea has been floating around for a long time: put all of
> our lists on one place to make it possible to actually have some idea
> what IS out there.

The Rigler Deutsch Record Index was a tabulation of all of the
pre-microgroove holdings in the 5 or 6 largest archives in the 1980s,
about 700,000 entries.  Unfortunately it has not been updated by those
institutions into that central listing, nor has there been any input
from smaller archives, newer archives, and private collectors.  It is
sort of like a National Union Catalog but much more restrictive in
sources and locations.

> I am into cars too. They have registries.

Road cars need legal registrations.  We do not have to register our records.

> Why not an accessible location with the databases, names and addresses
> of owners. Like the stock market. But round.

Some collectors do not want you to know what they have.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com