[78-L] No -- this is the world's rarest record ....

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 10 19:28:33 PDT 2010

I remain convinced that "the world's rarest record" is one of two that
I own...?!

The first is my "Okie" record...from a firm in East Chicago, Indiana
per its label...?! I have NEVER seen the label listed in any reference
works; the disc itself is a "hillbilly" record which I suspect was
sold (possibly off the stage by the artist?) to homesick "okies"
who worked in the huge steel mills in and near Gary, Indiana
after WWII...?! This may be, in fact, the last/only surviving Okie
example?! (anybody else have or seen one?!).

The second is a promotional Radiex disc, advertising that Radiex
records "are now recorded electrically!" The matrix numbers are
NOT in the usual GG sequence, but are "1" and "2!" I have NEVER
seen this record included or even mentioned in any GG digital
archives! I bought it about 25-30 years ago from the late Jim
Hadfield...and I have been trying to research the dommed thing
ever since...?!

Note that there are probably countless 78's from the post-WWII
period, of which one (or none?!) still survive(s)...?!

Steven C. Barr