[78-L] Indian 78 rpm

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Sat Jul 10 07:07:36 PDT 2010

Hello Maria and all!

The Australian Michael Kinnear worked and published extensively about the
early record industry in India. Most of his books and articles are discographies
(listings of recordings) with scholarly introductions. I met Michael-jy at the HMV
archives in Hayes. A charming, very modest and bright  person. Born in Adelaide
in 1945, he died some time ago.

The best source of information about the record industry in India may be his book:

''The 78 r.p.m. record labels of India''
Heidelberg, Australia, 2003.

See here:
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/indrecbk.htm

Unfortunately, I was never able to obtain a copy of this book.

As Michael Kinnear was distributing most of his books through his own website only,
I wonder where the stock may have gone. Searches on the internet do not yield
any results.

Otherwise, I know only a 96 page booklet about the record industry in India, with
focus on Gramophone/HMV:

''Gramophone In India  - A Brief History''
by Santosh Kumar De
1st ed., publ. July 1990
Uttisthata Press
Michaelnagar
24 Parganas (North)
Calcutta
(now: Kolkata)

The author, Shri Santosh Kumar De, worked for the Gramophone Company
of India, Ltd, from 1948-1977, as the editor of THE VOICE, the bilingual (English/
Hindi) monthly magazine of that company.

Another good source of information would be publications of the erratic ''THE RECORD NEWS -
Quarterly Journal of the Society of Indian Record Collectors'' - Vol. 1 (January 1991) ff. ,
edited by Suresh Chandvankar, a researcher in fundamental physics in Mumbai.

An index of contents of TRN (The Record News) can be found here:
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/sirc/TRN-index.html

It will be very difficult to find copies, because the magazine was distributed to members
of the Society only - about 100 persons. (I have duplicate copies of some editions of this
magazine, and a mint duplicate of Michael Kinnear's Greenwood Press book 'A Discography
of Hindustani and Karnatic Music)

An interesting article by Shri Suresh of the 'Society' is here:
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/indcent.htm

I don't know if any of this helps.

Benno

--
Hotelbewertung: Bloß nicht die Katze im Sack kaufen bzw. den Floh auf der Matratze buchen -
ob geschäftlich oder privat - erst das Hotel im Reise-Channel auf arcor.de checken!