[78-L] 78 database

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 8 19:24:47 PDT 2010

From: "David London" <jusmee123 at gmail.com>
> Yes that works.  All this discussion has centred around text fields
> expressing dates.  What I originally referred to was the problem of using
> proper database field with a date datatype.  I guess, because of the many
> unknowns, a text field ends up being the better choice.  Eventually,
> therefore, I need to parse the abarams files dates into the yyyy-mm-dd
> format.

The problem is that database programs can/will ONLY accept possible
dates in their date-type fields! This makes it impossible to enter dates
which are incomplete or partially unknown.

You might take a look at (and possibly copy source code from?) Ty S's
HTML-ized versions of the Abrams  Files; I don't know how he dealt
with the many dates that include ?'s...?!

Steven C. Barr