[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 5 22:09:38 PDT 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
>
>> I am searching on an MGM disk on Ebay with an MGM label, performed by
>> Teddy Joyce and the Capitolians (Capitol Theater Orchestra, Broadway
>> NY). The number, 1076P, coincides with a Supertone by Teddy Joyce and
>> the Penn State Rec.(?) Is this that same recording and is there a
>> connection between these 2 labels?
>> I look in MGM in the online database and those 4 digit numbers don't
>> show up.
>>

> The 1###-P series was used by Columbia for any/all "private label" issues
> of Harmony-derived sides. These "M-G-M" discs were pressed for promotional/
> background play in M-G-M theatres of the twenties;

Not played in the theaters, SOLD in the theaters, Lowe Theaters.  Come
to think of it, was the Capitol Theater a Lowes theater?   And since
their sides were also on Publix labeled records, was it a Paramount
Publix theater????  Roxy managed it until he built the Roxy and then
managed the Radio City Music Hall.  There were two of these
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer records in my father's collection, and he bought
them in a theater.  He would have been 21 or 22 at the time.  These
records sometimes had mixed electrical and acoustical sides.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com