[78-L] MGM-Supertone connection?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jul 5 20:35:09 PDT 2010

From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
> I am searching on an MGM disk on Ebay with an MGM label, performed by
> Teddy Joyce and the Capitolians (Capitol Theater Orchestra, Broadway
> NY). The number, 1076P, coincides with a Supertone by Teddy Joyce and
> the Penn State Rec.(?) Is this that same recording and is there a
> connection between these 2 labels?
> I look in MGM in the online database and those 4 digit numbers don't
> show up.

The 1###-P series was used by Columbia for any/all "private label" issues
of Harmony-derived sides. These "M-G-M" discs were pressed for promotional/
background play in M-G-M theatres of the twenties; they are NOT related
to the MGM label of the forties/fifties (which is most likely the one listed
in Ty's online database). In fact, if Harmony is included in Ty's database,
the sides could be found there...?!

Steven C. Barr