[78-L] 78 database

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jul 5 20:07:07 PDT 2010

From: "David London" <jusmee123 at gmail.com>
> Yes, I guess there must be some that are lost forever.  Particularly when
> you consider regional variations. Stuff reissued on different labels in
> obscure countries etc.   Then of course, those countries would have had
> their own local talent recording on small local labels.
>
> Thanks for the advice on the Abrams files/fields.  Yes, that's going to be
> my starting point. Field lengths need to be expanded as I see some
> truncations in there already in the copy of the files that I have. Extra
> fields to track other things like reissues and regional variations and
> data
> sources will also be required.
>
> My ambition, at this point, is to assemble a useable database for my own
> purposes, but I will keep in mind the possibility to share data with
> others.  This is why I want to keep it all in a decent database, so the
> data
> can be managed properly, allowing for expansion, and integration of new
> data
> as it comes to hand.
>
> One possible source of this extra data, that I see, is to collect listings
> from people selling 78s.  I have already found some catalogs that will
> expand on what is in the Abrams files.  Of course, there is the stuff from
> my own modest collection that I will add.
>
> If nothing else, it is an interesting exercise to keep me occupied :)

Well, I currently own around 58,000 78's (probably a very few duplicates
among them?)...it's now a race to see how many of those I can list in MS
Access files...?! I'm currently working on around 200 that Lennick dropped
off last week (now I need more milk boxes...?!). My current plans are to
get artist/title data from the Abrams-file listing, adding/correcting as
needed. Note that I also have around 300 or so 78's in my accumulation
I haven't yet entered...?!

Steven C. Barr