[78-L] 78 database

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 04:23:09 PDT 2010

Yes, I guess there must be some that are lost forever.  Particularly when
you consider regional variations. Stuff reissued on different labels in
obscure countries etc.   Then of course, those countries would have had
their own local talent recording on small local labels.

Thanks for the advice on the Abrams files/fields.  Yes, that's going to be
my starting point. Field lengths need to be expanded as I see some
truncations in there already in the copy of the files that I have. Extra
fields to track other things like reissues and regional variations and data
sources will also be required.

My ambition, at this point, is to assemble a useable database for my own
purposes, but I will keep in mind the possibility to share data with
others.  This is why I want to keep it all in a decent database, so the data
can be managed properly, allowing for expansion, and integration of new data
as it comes to hand.

One possible source of this extra data, that I see, is to collect listings
from people selling 78s.  I have already found some catalogs that will
expand on what is in the Abrams files.  Of course, there is the stuff from
my own modest collection that I will add.

If nothing else, it is an interesting exercise to keep me occupied :)