[78-L] Victor Continental Gems

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jun 29 21:02:20 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> At the Bash I picked up an undated 20 page Victor catalog titled Victor
> Continental Gems which included listings of the V series singles and
> showing the S series albums.  I need to find the date of this catalog,
> dates of issues of the albums pictured, and confirmation that the
> pictures shown are that of the album covers.
> The singles are in several lists, and all of the lists are in reverse
> numerical order with the highest number first.
> Continental Gems  10-inch  List Price 75 cents
>   V-164 down to V-1
> 12-inch   List Price $1.00
>   V-515 down to V-500
> International Novelties  10-inch  List Price 75 cents
>   V-726 down to V-703
> A. Outstanding Vocal Selections
>   V-514, and V-150 down to V-124
> B. Outstanding Dance Selections
>   V-725 to V-710, V-512 to V-500, and V-154 to V-48
> Albums S-10, S-11, S-12, S13, S-14, S-17, S-18, and S-19
>   (there is a cover-like illustration to each of the above)
> Hebrew Religious and Tradition Music
>   S-100, S-101, S-102, and S-103
> The rear cover shows the dog and phonograph logo with Victor over the
> horn, "For best results use Victor Needles", and at the bottom  "St'd
> Ph. Co. -- Form 90"  This might indicate the Standard Phonograph label
> which was used for ethnic recordings, but everything in this booklet
> indicates Victor.  At the lower right of the front cover there is a logo
> consisting of an array of flags, two circles showing the globe of the
> West and East hemispheres, a banner saying "Victor International
> Records", and the dog and phono in an oval.  Higher up, the dog and
> phono in a circle is below the title, and the rest of the cover is a
> line drawing of a VERY attractive lady in a VERY tightfitting drum
> majorette uniform with high heeled boots.  (This might spark to memory
> that you also might have a copy of this catalog!)
> When was this printed, or when was V-164, V-515, V726, S-19, and S-103
> issued (these are the highest numbers in the respective series.  When
> were all of the albums issued, and anybody have the albums to compare
> with the photos in this booklet?

This sounds a lot like a Victor "ethnic" catalog I HOPE I still own! IIRC,
my catalog was from 1941. Standard replaced Victor's ethnic series
c. 1945 (after the ban, when Victor was once again issuing records)
This seems to be a "transitional" document...issued as "Standard"
was replacing "Victor" on RCA etnicc records?

Sreven C. Barr