[78-L] ^Survival of anything from The Best of Broadway (1954-55)

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 20:13:43 PDT 2010

--- On Mon, 6/28/10, David Lewis <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> These were color broadcasts and done live. As they were
> made before the advent of videotape I suspect they won't
> have survived, but I'm curious as to whether any are known
> extant as black and white kinescopes.

The 1954-1955 time frame suggests that these were broadcast
with the CBS Chromacorder system, which converted CBS's
field sequential color system to NTSC-2 color.  The original
field-sequential video could conceivably be recorded on
monochrome film as/before it was converted to NTSC, and
since about the only way to make that conversion was to use
camera (probably vidicon) tubes aimed at kinescope tubes,
the quality of such a kinescope would be much better than
any recording made off the NTSC result (much like the
original slow-scan Apollo 11 video).  That doesn't, of
course, mean that such a recording was made.