[78-L] RCA Victor Collectors Issue

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 27 07:58:05 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 14:00 +0000, agp wrote:

> Is this simply an 'oldies' re-issue series similar to Columbia's Hall
> of Fame issue and Decca's Gold Label Series and the many re-issue
> label ofthe 45 rpm era?

It seems very similar to the silver label/red print "Collectors Series"
of LPs (many produced by Orrin Keepnews) and 45s that RCA Victor issued
in the 1950s. These contained vintage swing, jazz, and big-band
material, reissued without re-equalization or added reverb. It was an
'oldies' reissue series, but apparently with the serious collector in
mind, one who might protest at having the original sound tampered with.

Every one of these that I've heard, especially 10" LP issues, are as far
removed as can be from those five words that strike fear in the heart of
every serious vintage record collector: "Reissue Produced by Ethel
Gabriel".

MS