[78-L] TENNESSEE label info wanted

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 21:07:39 PDT 2010

There were four principals: Bill Beasley, who had owned Collegiate Records
in 1948-49; Howard Allison, who along with Beasley owned Coastline
Distributing and Volunteer Music Sales; Alan and Reynold Bubis, counsins who
owned American Tea and Coffee, a food distribution company which included a
juke box distribution division.

Two of their most successful artists were Randy Hughes, who later became
Patsy Cline's manager and who piloted her last flight, and Del Wood, who had
Tennessee's biggest hit  "Down Yonder."

The first release was numbered 711 because the number was lucky.
Tennessee shut down in late 1952 because of legal troubles but was reformed
as Republic Records in 1953.

There is a very detailed history of Tennessee Records in "A Shot in the
Dark: Making Records in Nashville, 1945-1955."