[78-L] First LP

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 24 09:50:47 PDT 2010

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> A 16" disc could hold 15 minutes with standard (pre microgroove)
> grooving which means they could put up to 4 takes on each side of a
> 16" disc at 33 rpm. I'll bet that saved them some money when buying lacquers!!

Not quite.  For high quality it is not recommended to cut at less than
8-inches diameter which yields about 11 minutes.  That would be two
12-inch takes or three 10-inch takes.

Lacquers were actually quite cheap, less than $3 for a 16-incher.  MUCH
less than what a wax cost, even considering shaving and reusing.  The
problem in wartime was glass.  They would want to use it for their
safeties, but it was superior for the actual master for plating.  I do
not know what they actually did.  Seth, and possibly Doug, would know.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com