[78-L] First LP

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 24 08:06:36 PDT 2010

From: "neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com" <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> Vinyl was in use for transcriptions as early as 1934. Mike Biel
> has mentioned a number of times that the Thesaurus label was
> advertised in the trade mags by late '34.

Actually, Victrolac was vinylite -- they admitted it in 1936.  So many
of the Program Transcriptions were vinyl, and the Wallerstein article
admits it.

> One might even argue that "long playing" was not a new term, having
> derived from the term "long play". I recall that we discussed this a
> while ago at some length. Good marketing strategy on Columbia's part
> I think. Borrow or modify a term that was used for cylinder records
> with a run time of 4 rather than 2 minutes, IIRC.  joe salerno

Maybe it was used by Columbia in 1906 for their 6-inch 20th Century
cylinders!  In any event, what Columbia trademarked was Lp -- capital L
small p -- so they didn't get much.  I see a Pat Pend on the first Lp
labels.  I don't think they got much if anything.  It might be some
small detail in the process, which could probably be skipped by everyone
else!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com