[78-L] First LP

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 05:09:34 PDT 2010

Having been at WB for seventeen years, I know full well that bullshit runs
deep, and if a company can make themselves look better or claim something
they didn't do, they'll do it.

I also had several Decca LPs from 1949 that came from their 'albums' and the
quality was better than Columbia's product. Their pressing materials weren't
that great, though. But the beauty of the sound quality coming especially
from their west coast studio still blows me away.

I know this was probably covered before, but weren't the tape masters for
South Pacific used for a CD reissue? And which ones did we say were better
(or is that relative)?

And can anybody (Dr. Biel?) tell me that latest date that RCA was using disc
cutting for master recording? My mentor Jerry Graff did a session for Victor
in 1952 or 1953 and specifically remembered a cutting lathe used at the
session (he did not remember a tape machine in use).

Jeff Sultanof