[78-L] Wow..we're rich!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 20 20:00:27 PDT 2010

From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> Hmmmmm......just today I was in a furniture resale shop and stumbled
> upon an album of 78s under the glass case. Wasn't opened, but the
> description said there were 7 unbroken records and a few more that were
> broken. The slight info given convinced me that it was not worth the
> time or risk to ask to see them. They mentioned Victor Red Seals,
> Columbia, and one other common label. No Berliners, no Pattis or
> Gennetts. I imagined looking thru them and being accused of having
> broken yet another one of them when I was only the one to discover it.
> Original price $95, now down to $35. I didn't see any furnitutr I wanted
> either.

Sadly, there are two separate (and wildly conflicting) schools of thoughts
regarding 78 rpm phonorecords!

The first is "These are SO old I can't personally remember them having
been sold...therefore, they HAVE to be valuable "antiques" and worth
amazing sums of money (which I NEED to attain and retain my social
and "dominance-hierarchy" status...!!

The second runs "These are SO old there is no longer a readily-available
player for them; I shall try to get a little bit of money, but won't expect
much...?!"

I'm smack dab in the middle...enthisuastically purchasing accumulations
of "78's" when I can afford thereof...?

Meanwhile I have accumulated around  58,000 78's...or around 2% of
the total number issued 1889-1960?! I hope to acquire more...in low-
priced "mass sales," originated by type II sellers...! I'm still looking
for that 98% I DON'T own...?!"

And, BTW, UCSB has already asked me to leave them my half-vast
shellac archive upon my demise...!

So, any 78L listeners who have quantities (i.e. one or more) of
"shellaciana" to be disposed of upon (or shortly prior) to their
demise...are quite welcome to contact/consider me...?!

Steven C. Barr