[78-L] Esquire Jazz Book 1944

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 17 10:25:10 PDT 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> I think I have a card to send in for a missing set of notes to a DISC album.

One of the books about Moe Asch -- or it might have been a comment at
ARSC a year or two ago -- mentioned that sometimes Moe Asch purposefully
just inserted these cards into records to get more addresses for his
mailing list!  Sometimes he was short on booklets but sometimes he
wasn't.

From: bmcclung78 at gmail.com
> I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure that
> Chicago 11, Illinois was current.

I think it might be 60011.

> But even better, the instructions say nothing of mailing it. Just fill in
> my name and address and, magically, I'm on the waiting list.

That means there might be people still waiting since 1944!!!!!!!!
Unless they were doing something like a Durium or a Flexo,  I would be
kinda afraid of a shellac record being sold inserted in that magazine.
I think I have a copy of the magazine myself, not knowing I was CHEATED
out of the record!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com