[78-L] Written any good blues lately?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jun 14 18:02:03 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

In my case, the answer is yes! I was charged with writing ten blues
tunes...so
my friend, who was doing the writing and issuing the resulting CD, DIDN'T
have to pay any publishing royalties! In some cases, I had already written
the tunes; in others they were new (and in one case I issued a tune which
I took from an anonymous party 78...this tune was issued without composer
credit by one or more Western Swing bands! The song comes from a vocal
riff on a jazz 78...it just repeats "Stick Out Your Can, Here Comes the
Garbage
Man!" The party record, however, added additional lyrics; I use those...!).

The "Party Record" has NO artist (or composer) credits; it is on a "WHIZ"
label, and the only text on its label is "Garbage Man!" On my CD "BlackCat
Blues"
I claim only "arrangement" credits for the tune...?! Note that the CD MAY
be available or audible on the web; Search for "Black Cat Blues" and "Steven
C"...!

I'm also working (albeit slowly) on a few more blues tunes, so I can issue
a new blues CD; I have a few that were omitted from the above CD (as I note
it would have been necessary to pay publishing royalties) that I would like
to record and issue! Then I need to write the requisite tunes to finish
filling
a CD...!

Steven C. Barr