[78-L] End of an Era: Dr. Demento ends radio run

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 10 20:35:37 PDT 2010

I had done a program very similar to his about 6 months before his first
program.  Mine was The Junkyard, on WNUR Evanston Illinois.  I ended up
doing a segment each week playing a weird record on a talk show by Al
Lerner for the next couple of years till 1972.  Al later was on WGN,
Chicago, and I would have picked up doing that except by then Demento
was going strong and anybody doing novelty records would seem like a
copy of Demento even if we had done it before him.  But you are so
right, radio ain't fun no more.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com