[78-L] Library of Congress on TV TONIGHT MIDNIGHT Eastern

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jun 10 20:25:45 PDT 2010

Over at the ARSCList were were given a heads-up about a program that we
on the 78-L would also be interested in.  It will be repeated in just
over a half hour if you are reading this soon after posting.

From: "Leggett, Stephen C" <sleg at loc.gov>
> tonight's (Thursday, June 10 at 9 p.m. EST) Modern Marvels program on
> the History Channel will be about the Library of Congress, with a
> significant portion on the Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation.+

The program was pretty good, covering all aspects of LC, the original
artifacts, and digital preservation.  Just a small portion concerned
sound recordings, and there were a few errors in syncing the narration
with the visuals.  A celluloid Blue Amberol cylinder was shown when the
narrator mentioned wax cylinders, and an aluminum based lacquer disc was
shown when the narrator mentioned vinyl discs.

Although the title of the disc being put on the $20,000 turntable could
not be seen, I immediately knew what series it was from.  But my
daughter Leah immediately realized exactly which record it was in that
series.  Here is a challenge to everyone:  can any of you (not involved
in the filming, of course) name what the record is he put on that
turntable??

The program is being repeated at midnight Eastern time.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com