[78-L] Decca 17000 Calypso label/recording log/file card errors

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 9 21:47:43 PDT 2010

From: steveshapiro1 at juno.com
> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 04:28:32 +0000
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Subject: [78-L] Decca 17000 Calypso label/recording log/file card errors
>
> Similar to the 17000 Cajun issues, here are three from the 17000 calypso series
>
> 17268 Yaraba Shango for Yoruba Shango
>
> 17481 Demi Gal for Dewi Jal
>
> MX 91974 Teener Have Sympathy for Tina, Have Sympathy (someone with a New Yorker's ear giving proper spelling for the name Tina)
>
> Perhaps not as bad as the upside down Arabic titles for Columbia's 1916 "Syrian Band" records and numerous botched Yiddish labels./steve

One of those Yiddish labels turned out to have a Chinese recording surrounding it. One digit out in the matrix number, I think. And there's a Decca 78 that Steve Barr and I both own, a Canadian pressing of an early King Cole side, "This Will Make You Laugh"..disc actually is a Greek recording which had been unissued.