[78-L] Decca calypso series

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jun 9 10:24:52 PDT 2010

Other than the discography project listing and Ruppli's Decca book set,
is there a detailed discography like yours for the calypso series?  Did
the series continue beyond 17484?  And did the recordings continue
beyond April 1941?  If the AFM ban did not cover Trinidad, they could
have done recording there during the ban!!!

Also, are those matrix numbers real or are they Chicago and NY
re-numberings like Hal Flackser complained about concerning South
American recordings to Milt Gabler in my famous video of the Syndicate
Meeting?

Are the files you used at MCA to do your book still exist or were they
vaporized in the Universal City warehouse fire?  And the masters??  I
happened to spend Monday afternoon at Universal Music in NYC and the
answers I got was the status of the destruction was still unknown, and
that NY deals mainly with the East Coast tapes at Iron Mt.  The tapes I
saw there were heartening as far as the microgroove era was concerned.
(Quarter-inch Billie Holliday, one-inch Cowsills 8-tracks, and 1/2-inch
Jackson 5 concert 4-tracks.  Verve, MGM, Motown.)  And they are still
doing a LOT of reissue projects.  They gave me a nifty Nat King Cole set
coming out later this month that includes the 1936 Eddie Cole Deccas.
http://www.amazon.com/Riffin-Decca-Keynote-Mercury-Recording/dp/B003KZZ4SK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276104242&sr=8-1

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com