[78-L] Sidney & the Lion play calypso

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 10:26:43 PDT 2010

yves francois wrote:
   Han, you are right - there are 13 titles total (Media 7 has 13 titles
as well on Vol 5 and 6). My only regret is that Bechet seems content to
play "under wraps" for some odd reason on this session. I like the
concept very much, but some hot solos on this would have been stunning
(I know you know such clarinets like Robert Mavounzy*, Eugene Delouche
or even Filiberto Rico who could do this sort of thing very well -
Bechet was more reserved on these recordings (he did better with this
sort of thing on the Circle session with the Duke of Iron or a couple of
songs he recorded in Paris in the early 50's)
    One note to everyone who is listening to these records, they are NOT
jazz records, but ethnic music - so I listen to them with my "world
music" ears .... just don't expect any great solos by Bechet, Smith or
Roane.
Yves François

* BTW Mavounzy did an incredible LP in the 60's with a rhythm trio of
biguines, he is a stellar musician, and could bridge the gap between
jazz and biguine very well (as did Al Lirvat and Abel Beauregard)
I like calypso records, but a succession of non-vocal performances does
get a little tiring, especially when the talents of the jazz musicians
are not employed. There are other calypso records with a jazz content
(Wilmoth Houdini, Sam Manning and Jack Sneed).

A friend of mine is a Mavounzy fan. He'd be interested in this LP. Could
you let me have the catalogue number?

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5182 (20100608) __________

http://www.eset.com