[78-L] Sidney & the Lion play calypso

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 08:20:05 PDT 2010

  Han, you are right - there are 13 titles total (Media 7 has 13 titles as well on Vol 5 and 6). My only regret is that Bechet seems content to play "under wraps" for some odd reason on this session. I like the concept very much, but some hot solos on this would have been stunning (I know you know such clarinets like Robert Mavounzy*, Eugene Delouche or even Filiberto Rico who could do this sort of thing very well - Bechet was more reserved on these recordings (he did better with this sort of thing on the Circle session with the Duke of Iron or a couple of songs he recorded in Paris in the early 50's)
   One note to everyone who is listening to these records, they are NOT jazz records, but ethnic music - so I listen to them with my "world music" ears .... just don't expect any great solos by Bechet, Smith or Roane.
Yves François

* BTW Mavounzy did an incredible LP in the 60's with a rhythm trio of biguines, he is a stellar musician, and could bridge the gap between jazz and biguine very well (as did Al Lirvat and Abel Beauregard)