[78-L] Columbia 1950s demo

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jun 6 08:54:28 PDT 2010

The 360 Columbia Phonographs were mono machines which had multiple
speakers facing left, right, and rearwards.

This slogan completely messed with the late Peter Copeland of the
British Library.  He completely screwed up several books by claiming
that a 7-inch Stereo Columbia record series which really was issued in
1959 had been the Columbia 7-inch 33 of 1950, therefore could not have
really been stereo.  He used this as was proof that the word "stereo"
had been used for records that were not two-channel stereo.  The problem
is, the record really WAS stereo, and the one he illustrated in his book
was a selection by Andre Previn from the musical Gypsy which was written
in the latter 1950s.  I tried to tell him that he had his facts all
screwed up, but he still used this theory (without the illustration) in
his manuscript about sound recording which the British Library has
published on-line.

If he had said that Columbia's "360 Sound" was not stereo, he would have
been correct, BUT Columbia had never claimed it was!  When he came
across that 7-inch Columbia Stereo record he thought it was the same as
"360 Sound" because there had been 7-inch Columbia microgroove discs in
the mono era.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com