[78-L] Army and air forcer LPS

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Sat Jun 5 11:41:15 PDT 2010

My radio time was 1954 to 1966,  TV after that, so  no real memory beyond '66.  however, I   recall my first job, KWBE, Beatrice, NE,   250 watter, single  station market, on air 6 a.m. to midnight,  they played a lot of  transcription programs, and I recall things like  military type records which were listed on the log as  public service, or free,  in other words,  not revenue producing. This  type programming was  usually at night or   weekend times.   AND---one of my "new" records,  Army Bandstand, with the U.S. Army band, program no. 144,  says at the bottom of the label, "Public Service Show", speed 33 1/3 RPM Microgroove LP.  Sounds like a freebie to me, which reminds me, seem to recall being told by someone in radio more recently that  the spots for military service are now paid ads, not PSA.  Perhaps someone  with more recent experience in  radio can  tell  if this is true.
Jim Whipkey

  From: "Jim Whipkey" <suuford at msn.com<mailto:suuford at msn.com>>
  Subject: [78-L] Army and Air Force LPS.

    I know there has been discussion  before on the military LPs.  I  just acquired 3 of them in my latest country auction visit. They're  dirty and  sound quality is not great.   One is called Army Bandstand  featuring George Shearing. The  air force record says it is to be played 13-19 February 1961.  Can someone refresh my memory on their existence,  when they were  produced,  etc.  Thanks.
    Jim Whipkey

  From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca<mailto:dlennick at sympatico.ca>>
  Subject: Re: [78-L] Army and Air Force LPS.

  Were they given to local radio stations to run in available 15 minute time slots or did the various producers buy the air time? I've been curious about these programs as well. Lots of them around, as well as "Here's to Veterans", "Let's Go with Music" (Coast Guard) etc.