[78-L] Foreign Gennett (was: Music Hall on Gennett)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Jun 5 09:54:49 PDT 2010

Actually I believe Gennett had a trade agreement with British Vocalion,
whose master sources sent to the US were varied within the British
recording industry. There are many notes in the main Gennett ledgers
stating "Mother to Vocalion". I'll bet the British masters that appeared
on Gennett, et al, were part of that trade.
That being said, there were a number of matrix series that existed
outside either the "standard" Richmond and/or New York runs, beginning
around 1921. Those I've located include mxes 000 - 999, 1100 - 1999,
2000 -7999, 85000 - 85299, and the 100 X - 1800 X series. There are many
holes in all these series, though; very few are sequential for any run
of numbers.
Gennett masters, and one Gennett 9000 "foreign" issue series, show up in
Europe as well. Oddly enough there seems to have been no Gennett
distribution of any kind in Germany. On various local labels in
Scandinavia, Britain and France, yes, but not Germany.
Malcolm

*******