[78-L] Music Hall on Gennett

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jun 4 20:53:12 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> About the last thing I'd expect to find on Gennett is English Music Hall,
> but I've just come across two Albert Whelan sides: Preacher And the Bear
> b/w All Aboard For Glory. Originally from Edison Bell Winner 3043,
> recorded 1916 (his only session between 1913 and 1922, oddly enough).  I
> wonder how many other oddities turn up on Gennett? I've seen straight pop,
> instrumental solos and light classical and band selections, so I guess
> they tried to be as wide ranging as possible..and then were remembered
> only for jazz (and sound effects).

Gennett issued a number of British sides...not only EBW but others I have
never tried to trace! It goes without saying that the folks in Richmond had
NO idea what might sell here in North America; who decided what was
issued I wot not?! However, the music hall sides probably sold well in
their "homeland," and Gennett may have assumed they would enjoy the
same success in North America...?!

Berliner(C) was doing the same thing with their 120xxx series of UK
sides; Billy Williams certainly sold quite well in Canada?!

Steven C. Barr