[78-L] Did The English Take Better Care Of Their Records?

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Fri Jun 4 12:34:40 PDT 2010

I swear, after listing and grading several thousand records, every time I run across English (or other European) issues of various jazz and country records, they are nearly always in pristine shape compared to their American counterparts. Most every Parlophone or HMV I come across is in E to E+ condition! In fact, I'm trying to remember ever having an English issue record in less than VG shape? I'm not always sure how the English issues got back here to the States (other than the obvious years of trading), but surely they would have been enjoyed just same on the other side of pond?
Is it just that Europeans understood the importance of a fresh needle? What gives?

Malcolm

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com/
78rpm Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com/
On Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/venerablemusic