[78-L] Comparison shopping, was: Russel's "Country Music Records"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 4 09:19:33 PDT 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> I was tossed out of a New York record store 40+ years ago for just
>>> WRITING DOWN the number of an album I wanted to price elsewhere
>>> (or try and get as a promo). dl

>> What store? I would have come back into the store with a cop.
>> Or a lawyer. Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com

> On Fifth Avenue, can't remember at this point (40 years later).
> And I did manage to get a freebee of the album later that day
> when I visited Audio Fidelity's offices.  dl

I can't think of any other 5th Ave record store other than The Record
Hunter which was on the East side of 5th Ave a couple of doors North of
42nd Street, but I can't imagine them being like that!  I can tell you
with certainty that I was copying down titles and numbers there in
1962-3 when I first encountered the Odeon/Parlophone Goon Show LPs and I
wanted to ask my British penpals what it was and if I would like it.
They said yes and they were right when I bought them there the next
trips into the city.  We're starting to have sessions at NYC ARSC about
NYC record stores, and I'll bring this up.  And when I get a chance to
get together with Sidney Frey's daughter, I'll thank her for your
freebee.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com