[78-L] groove size again

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jun 3 20:01:40 PDT 2010

From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> Steven,
>
> So wide they don't play very well? What are you playing them on and what
> size stylus are you using?

I was using an Astatic n8-3d needle; these have .003" (3-mil) tips. They
play virtually all 78's that I have run across...but didn't produce much
sound (and what they did produce was distorted) unless I manually
pushed the needle sideways...!

> It occurs to me that perhaps stylus size did not become standardized for
> as long as steel needles were in popular use, as they conform to the
> groove size within the first few rotations. Don't they?

I don't know exactly when groove (thus needle tip) size became
standardized; as you point out, steel needles don't actually have
a specific size...?!

Steven C. Barr