[78-L] How Bing Crosby morphed into Frank Sinatra.!!!!!! [FWD]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 2 15:22:14 PDT 2010

Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 23:15:36 +0100
> From: mafenton at talktalk.net
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Subject: Re: [78-L] How Bing Crosby morphed into Frank Sinatra.!!!!!! [FWD]
>
> David Lennick wrote:
> > And the stuff that sticks to the wall is even worse. Sorry, kiddies,
> > but every time I hear James Blunt coming out of the supermarket's PA
> > system or the coffee shop's radio tuned to the local "easy listening"
> > station I want to reach for a sharp knife. As for the "poetry" of
> > rap, does anybody seriously believe there's such a thing?
>
> Agreed, but each era has its duds. For instance - with advance apology
> to his adoring fans here for the following comment - nobody has yet
> managed to convince me of the genius of Eddie Cantor. His records have
> much the same effect on me as anything by, say, Ice-T, but I wouldn't
> begrudge anybody who enjoys either artist their right to listen to them.
> Just as long as I don't have to be subjected to either.
>
> Just my twopenn'orth.
>
> Mart.

Not much argument about each era producing good and bad stuff, all relative to the listener. Although I get the impression that Eddie's records pretty much convey what put him over as a stage performer, more so than his movies. Eddie doing vaudeville shtick in "Glorifying The American Girl" is much funnier than anything I've seen of his Goldwyn films.